Friday, 25 September 2009

Film opinions

We love going to the movies, and try to see one each week. Here's what we've seen lately and my thoughts:

Up (in 3D) Another Pixar classic that I'll definitely be buying on DVD. It was great! Parts of it were pretty sad, but that just made the story all that much more lovable. Metacritic score: 88, Mine: 5/5

District 9 Not so great. I expected big things from this movie... even though it really didn't look like my type of thing, everyone raved about it, so we went. I should have trusted my gut. Metacritic score: 80, Mine: 2/5

Funny People This movie was too long for a comedy, and all the good bits we'd already seen in the trailer. Adam Sandler's been slipping downhill for a while and this is no exception. Metacritic score: 60, Mine: 2½/5

Inglourious Basterds I didn't really want to see this, but went along with friends. I'm not a Tarantino fan (eeek, shock horror!), but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Highlight = Melanie Laurent as Shosanna Drefus (pictured above - bottom left). Metacritic score: 69, Mine 3½/5

The Ugly Truth A lovely, light hearted comedy. Predictable as always, but easy to watch and funny enough. Exactly what I expected. Metacritic score: 28, Mine: 3½/5

Really looking forward to: 500 Days Of Summer and Where The Wild Things Are.
Maybe looking forward: to The Lovely Bones, Couples Retreat and Alice In Wonderland.

Anything I should see or be looking forward to that hasn't caught my eye?

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, thanks for the reviews. Having little ones means I hardly ever get to the movies anymore, but I have promised my 5 year old that I will take her to Up over the holidays (good excuse to see if myself!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reviews, I have a yen for a movie this week and your reviews helped me eliminate a few!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x