Sunday, 30 January 2011

30 Before 30 - #8 Watch Labyrinth


Today I spent a lovely afternoon doing number eight on my 30 Before 30 list - watching Labyrinth. I was in two minds about whether or not I'd enjoy this film because I usually dislike movies that were made years ago because they seem dated, but I love the illustration work of Brian Froud (especially in his Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Books). It had also been really hyped up as a classic that I 'had to watch' so it had a lot to live up to.

Now that I have seen it I can see why everyone hyped it up and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! My favourite character was definitely Ludo (who, did you know, was voiced by Ron Mueck?), and Jennifer Connelly did a great job of playing Sarah at such a young age. The styling of the ball scene was amazing and Jennifer Connelly looked stunning, even if David Bowie was a bit creepy. It also made me really appreciate and think about the craftsmanship and ingenuity behind older movies. The puppets may not have looked as amazing as today's CG graphics, but it's hard to comprehend how much work must have gone in to them all.

Starting off small and easy! One down, twenty-nine to go.
See my original 30 Before 30 post here
See all 30 Before 30 posts here

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea and you have some great things on your list! Labyrinth has been my daughters favourite movie since she first saw it at about 10 years old, so we have seen it several times and I always marvel at the puppets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x