Friday, 18 February 2011

30 Before 30 - #10 Go to Sepia Restaurant for dinner

Why was such a simple task like going out to dinner with my man on my 30 Before 30 list? Because we kept saying "we should go to Sepia Restaurant for dinner", but just never got around to it. So we got a bit dressed up and went out for dinner. Expectations were high as he'd (I'll call him M for this) been there before and had really enjoyed it, but it was disappointing. Sorry, there's no photos as I didn't want to be all paparazzi like and intrude on our date.

A REVIEW:

Food - Mains 3/5
I had a tenderloin steak with garlic mash. The steak was pretty average and the mash was yummy, but not garlic. I figure you can judge a lot of restaurants on how good their steak is. M ordered the duck breast, which came on yummy rice, and even though I don't eat duck I had food envy.


Food - Desserts 4/5
The desserts made up for the disappointment for my main. I had white chocolate cake with cotton candy sorbet and strawberry sauce and it was SO good. M had the crème brulée which he seemed to thoroughly enjoy too.


Service/Atmosphere 1/5
Restaurant service means a lot to me... and I don't think I'm overly fussy - I just expect a little attention. When we were finally seated (after standing around for ages), it was right in front of the main door, even though there were small tables elsewhere which would have been much preferable for a couple obviously on a date. Those tables had 'reserved' signs on them, even though nobody turned up in the couple of hours we were there and considering that we left at 9.30pm, I'm sure they weren't really reserved. They were obviously very busy, with a number of huge groups, but I don't think that's an excuse for bad service. We felt forgotten about a few times during the evening and everything took a very long time, including the basics like water for the table. Luckily I had lovely company or it may have been pretty uncomfortable. One of my pet peeves is when there's items like Fish/Pasta of the Day on the menu, but your waiter/waitress doesn't mention what they actually are. There was also a special menu just for that day that they didn't mention. I don't think you should have to ask about these things, right? M had talked the place up and even though it's a hotel restaurant I had expected awesome service in a somewhat fancy setting. Sorry, that turned into a rant.. let me get on with it...

Company 5/5
No comment needed really. M, you're a great date.

It was a nice evening, but mainly because of my company and the dessert. The service was a huge let down and I probably wouldn't go back because of it. They also lose points because their online menu isn't up to date.

Next week I'm giving blood, not looking forward to that one so much.

See my original 30 Before 30 post here
See all 30 Before 30 posts here

2 comments:

  1. maybe things like this happen to teach us that the things we hold in high regard shouldn't neccessarily always be placed "up there". You are doing so great with your list, yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you still had a good time, but what a shame it was disappointing
    : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x