Monday, 16 January 2012

30 Before 30 - #25 Go to Quail Island

I've wanted to go adventuring on Quail Island since I moved to Christchurch eleven years ago, so last Saturday I took the ferry across the harbour with some friends. Quail Island is a recreational reserve, named after the now extinct native quail (there's heaps of introduced quail though, which are so cute!). The island was originally used as a quarantine station and as a small leprosy colony by the early European settlers and is now a popular destination for people wanting a short daytrip from Christchurch.

We walked the track which loops the island and takes you past the old leprosy colony, the grave site of the one man who died on the island and many shipwrecks, and then stopped to have lunch under a tree, on top of a huge cliff overlooking the harbour and Lyttelton. For the rest of the afternoon we sat by the beach; relaxing and playing cards, frisbee and hacky. It was a really nice way to spend the day, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but not very far from home at all.

See my original 30 Before 30 post here
See all 30 Before 30 posts here

4 comments:

  1. I think the early settlers used any island they could find for lepers and quarantine! (Somes Island has the same history). Sounds like a lovely trip though, you are making good pace with your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah
      Yeah, I think that's true, ha ha.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, that is so random! I actually visited Quail island a few weeks ago for the first time - but ended up falling off a swing on swimmers beach and almost breaking my back! Ouch! It was so amazing though - I especially adored the shipwrecks!

    x
    Enter my clog giveaway! Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Jo!
      Oh no, sorry to hear that! Yeah, the shipwrecks are cool eh, pity you can't get down to them to explore them though.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x