Thursday, 26 January 2012

Music to warm my soul

I spend at least forty minutes in the car travelling to/from work every day and instead of listening to mindless drivel that's filled with advertising (also known as radio) I plug in my iPod and have a wee party in the car. I have a friend who has very similar music taste to me and we often do a music swap, which means songs pop up on my shuffle that I don't recognise but absolutely love. There's nothing better than discovering a new band, singer or song, and today I'm sharing a few that are tickling my fancy at the moment...


Oh Washington... When I found (Megan) Washington I was very surprised I hadn't come across her before. She's a singer and songwriter from Australia and is the perfect mix of infectious pop, witty lyrics and awesome instruments. How To Tame Lions is definitely my favourite, it's from her debut album I Believe You Liar and One Man Band is also very cool.


Another Australian discovery is Josh Pyke (cute website too). The Summer, from Chimney's Afire (the album has a paper-cut album art - this guys is definitely after my heart!) is gentle and poetic, simply beautiful. You Don't Scare Me is also a nice track.


Then there's Noah & The Whale, five English chaps I'm quite liking. If you like Give It All Back, also check out Five Years Time. It's even sweeter.

And I know I'm too late for Christmas... but A Very Little Christmas is the best Christmas album ever. It's a New Zealand beauty, put together by Little Monster Studio. With lyrics like "I don't want to think about it, Christmas is coming soon" and "Why does Santa ride a sleigh in the summer?", it's not your usual Christmas album and good listening all year round. You can download it here for free!

Oh, and one last one, this song is so sad but beautiful - Memory Lane by Elliott Smith. I found this live video of it, but the studio recording is so much better

Ahhh, so many artists in the world, so little time to discover them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x