Friday, 27 January 2012

Please Mr Postman

A few lovely looking books that are on their way to me:


Where Children Sleep
I stumbled upon James Mollison's site last week and was mesmerized by how such a simple idea can be so powerful in its message. Where Children Sleep is a beautifully presented book of "stories of diverse children around the world, told through portraits and pictures of their bedrooms." You can see some of the content on his website, I love the contrast of cultures, wealth and attitudes, and am looking forward to reading more about each child.

Missed Connections
I've been drooling over Sophie Blackall's blog for yonks and when I discovered she'd published a book of her paintings, I knew I had to get it. If you're not sure what she's about, she says it more eloquently than I ever could: Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down.

Oh, she also has an Etsy shop where you can buy her lyrical prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x