Wednesday, 25 January 2012

The recipes for a great New Year

I got a couple of cookbooks for Christmas and since then my boyfriend and I have been cooking a whole heap more than we used to. We're really loving trying out new recipes and exploring new ingredients. I've eaten things I used to think were disgusting and actually enjoyed nearly all of it. Here's a few of the dishes which have stood out:

The first recipe we tried was Jamie Oliver's pork chops with crispy crackling, crushed potatoes and minty cabbage from Jamie's 30 Minute Meals and it was so good! The recipes are written a little differently - instead of telling you how to make each of the dishes to the meal separately, it shows you what order to do all the things at once - so everything is ready at the correct time (see the left of that pic to see what I mean). It seems more methodical to me, and after some initial hesitation, makes cooking delicious meals a lot easier. As Jamie says: "there's no faffing about - just good, fast cooking".   

One night I was even lucky enough to have tray-baked chicken and squashed potatoes cooked for me (from the same book). Ladies, here's a hint.... Leave your cookbooks laying around your boyfriend's house, and who knows what will happen, tee he he. It was delicious, and so nice to be cooked for, but still didn't quite top those pork chops.

Let me know if you'd like either of these recipes, but you should really just go and buy the whole book - you won't regret it! 

The sweet cherry tomato and sausage bake recipe from Jamie At Home is so simple, and for the time it takes, very very yummy. You simply throw it all in the over for an hour or so and then reduce the sauce. I love the flavour of balsamic vinegar and cherry tomatoes and when served over buttery mashed potatoes it's perfect!

And, the last dinner meal I'll show you today was thyme and orange pork from Donna Hay's Fast, Fresh, Simple. With only a few ingredients for the pork, it is so simple, and tastes amazing served with mashed potato and a simple green salad.. 

And just one awesome dessert to finish off the main meals - Bill Granger's Banana Butterscotch Pudding, oh so gooey and yum! Recipe here.

Oh, I also made some beetroot relish from this recipe (but I used red onion) which is awesome on burgers, and some aioli using this recipe. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x