Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Today we remember

This past year has been hard. I've been more emotional than I even knew I could be - crying at work while reading stories of that day, getting teary while simply driving past buildings that didn't survive or getting angry about having to clean up a house of mess, again. I was in a building in The Square at 12.51pm, and still find watching videos of that day horrible. Last week's Sunday episode hit me hard, especially the story about the Japanese students who were studying in the CTV building - it was their first day and half the class didn't make it through the rubble.

Thank you to my friends, who, even through all this, haven't just packed up and left. Thank you for being there to talk to about all things earthquake, and also knowing when it was a good time to talk about something else. Thank you to my man, for the hugs and letting me stay at your less shaky house. Thank you to my family, who have worried about me with every shake, and have supported my decision to stick around (none of my family live in Christchurch). And thank you to you, all my readers. I'm sure you're sick of hearing about earthquakes, liquefaction and the rebuild, but you're still here, supporting us Christchurch folk with all your hearts.

Please take a moment today to remember those who lost their lives and those who had their lives changed forever one year ago today. Please take a moment to think about how lucky we are and a moment to cherish those around you.

xox

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Emma - I'm a bit late reading it, but am deeply touched by the way you have expressed yourself. And no, we're not sick of hearing about earthquakes, liquefaction, and rebuild at all - rather it's testimony to how strong people can be when they are presented with shaky ground and a possibly shaky future xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x