Monday, 19 March 2012

30 Before 30 - #3 Swim with Dolphins


When I was a teenager I went "swimming with dolphins" in Whitianga. Now, I put that in quote marks because not only did we not get to swim with dolphins, we didn't even see any, and as a dolphin-loving youngster I was very unimpressed. So, I've been looking forward to another opportunity since then. The weekend before last we headed over to Akaroa, on a day that was a bit average, booked in for the 2pm sailing and hoping that weather would improve. However, 1.30pm rolled around and the staff informed us of at least 1-2m swells... so we decided to postpone the swim til last weekend.

I am so glad we did, because the weather on Saturday was absolutely amazing! We saw dolphins and swam with them, and it was an amazing experience. In Akaroa they're Hector's Dolphins - one of the rarest dolphins in the world, which are only found in New Zealand waters. They're also one of the smallest dolphins in the world - at only about 1.4m long, so they're not threatening at all and love to play - jumping and swirling around everyone in our group. The Black Cat team were also great - very friendly, helpful and informative.

After a hot shower and a quick look around town, we went to Ma Maison for a delicious French meal before heading back to Christchurch.

It was such a lovely, relaxing and fun day in a beautiful wee town. A big thanks to my man for coming along (two weekends in a row), Black Cat Cruises and especially the dolphins for wanting to play.

See my original 30 Before 30 post here
See all 30 Before 30 posts here 

4 comments:

  1. Oh geez. I need to get my thirty before thirty act together. Does forty-one before forty-one count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I've seen many people do all sorts of __ Before __ lists - there's no limitations!
      Thanks for the comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Very excellent that you got to have another go at 'swimming' with the dolphins :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x