Wednesday, 29 August 2012

30 Before 30 - an update

I've decided, with less than four months until I turn the big three-oh, that I'm not going to worry so much about whether or not I complete my 30 Before 30 list. The last few years have taught me a lot about enjoying each day, and while I agree that having goals in life is a wonderful thing, having a list of things that I have to do, just doesn't seem to fit with me any more. Maybe my list wasn't well thought out, I'm not sure, but some of the things on it don't really interest me much any more. I guess I'd rather wake up in the morning and live that day, doing what I feel like doing, than feeling pressured into doing something because eighteen months ago I put it on a list. I'll continue to document the things that I do until my birthday though, and here's a couple I've recently completed:



#13 - Help a less fortunate community
I don't get paid a huge amount, but travelling overseas really made me appreciate coming home to a full time, 'well paying' job. It's amazing what so little money can provide to a family or community and what a huge difference it can make to their life. I love the whole idea of Oxfam Unwrapped, where you can "choose an Oxfam Unwrapped gift like a calf or a gardener’s pack, and not only are you buying a great gift, you’re giving someone living in poverty in the developing world the chance of a better life." It's also a well designed site with a sense of humour.

They have so many items to choose from (from $5 to $1800) that it made it a little hard to pick, so I went for things that would make me happy. A goat, a flock of duckings and training a village birth attendant, all for $117, not bad at all really.
  • A goat - A locally-bought goat will give a family (in Papua New Guinea) 7 litres of fresh milk per week to drink and sell, as well as organic fertiliser for their crops. And the first-born female kid will be given to another family so the magic can start again!
  • A flock of ducklings - By raising ducklings, a woman in Indonesia can rebuild her life after violence and earn a living. When the ducklings grow up, they can lay enough eggs to feed the family, as well as sell at the market for extra income.
  • Training a village birth attendant - Women in the remote villages of the Highlands of Papua New Guinea usually give birth at home without medical assistance. This can put both mother and baby at risk. With this gift, you will help train local people to become birth attendants. They will learn basic midwifery skills and be provided with safe birthing kits. And once they're trained, they'll support mothers to give their children the best possible start in life.
#21 - Ignore Facebook for a week
Done for three whole weeks while I was overseas. I didn't have my laptop with me, and I don't own a smart phone, so I only checked my email once to finalise something to do with our trip and didn't go on Facebook at all (even though the others were tagging me in photos, ha ha). I love the internet, but it was so nice to have a complete break from it!

#5 - Pay off and cut up my credit card
Yup, it's paid off, but nope, I'm not going to cut it up. Another thing that the last few years has taught me is that you never know when you might need some extra money to get you by. My credit card is now only for emergency and online purchases though, and any online purchases can only go on it if I have enough money in my regular account to cover it straight away.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you - I love that you are allowing yourself to change things as you need to. The list is for you after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miriam, it sure is! Hope all is well with you. x

      Delete
  2. Thats my girl !!!! Life is one big learning experience - never have any regrets and just enjoy every day. Adapting to life as you go is one of the challenges. Love you so much. xxxxxx
    Mum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, they make my day!
Em x